Friday, January 24, 2014

Creating Apps on Windows without needing Mac!

TheOS is a very handy tool that is limit-free. You can code for iPhone/iPad/iPod and make actual apps.

I personally do not have much experience with TheOS as the most I have done is make a MobileSubstrate hack for a game called Monster Mayhem. If you are planning to release your app to the appstore I would recommend you either get VMWare and run Mac OS X under it for your development. The VMWare copy of Mac could be slow or fast, depending on your system. Friendly tip: Run Mac on computers with 6+ GB of ram.

Coolstar is the person behind all this awesomeness, and you should refer to his website for more information regarding this tool. I have actually made a test app (default app that you literally just compile right when theos starts) on my iPhone and I have to say I am impressed.

TheOS website: http://coolstar.org/iOSToolchainOnWindows.html
User friendly easy to follow tutorial for creating your first hello world app: http://blog.austinlouden.com/post/47644627216/your-first-ios-app-100-programmatically

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I did make an app using Windows and Flash/ActionScript2. I got an .ipa file from it. This could be loaded onto my iPad via iTunes. The app works.

    So yes, it is possible to developed iOS apps on windows and Linux without iOS SDK.
    However, the look and feel of the app is not like an iOS app. I suppose you could do a lot to make it get that look and feel.

    ReplyDelete