Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Developing iPhone/iPod/iPad games on Windows/Linux with HTML5

Alrighty guys, I wasn't feeling good so I rushed through the video but I will try to mention anything important that I should have mentioned in the video in text here. :)

First thing is first, there is no doubt about how smooth the render of the game was or is, if you tried it yourself. Every time I talk to slugrail about creating a game for iOS using HTML5 etc, he always suggests me to learn Object Orientated Language first. And I thought, if I had to learn a OOL then why not start with Objective C?! At first, I doubted I could learn it, but then with motivational talk with slugrail and realizing how I was thinking, I figured I just had to be determined and just do it!

Anyways, the languages that you should start off learning with are HTML and JavaScript. I highly recommend using http://www.code.org/ to get started as there are very interactive tutorials on sites like codeacademy to help you fully understand the meaning of each function and how to use them. Creating a game might seem simple, but the way we are choosing (probably a hard way) is going to help us. My parents always told me, "Whatever is hard to do in life, always pays you off later". I sorta always lived by it and made it rule to follow. This applies to everyone while learning programming because it always makes you focus on your goal a little bit more.

I am sure by the time you have mastered the necessary languages to create your own games, the SRH Script will be ready to be released without that annoying popup and the ability to publish to the app store! But lets not aim for the moon while are still noobs (you [the beginners] and I).

I have come across a very powerful yet simple program called Construct 2 (you will need to find tutorials on it yourself as I haven't had time to explore it yet). Via this program you can simply use drag and drop function and create a simple game. Of course there are ways to get the program free, but I would buy it because of the awesomeness put into it.

If you think the popup is annoying, then send me a snapshot of your project and the binary (the file with no extension in the app.app folder. I will forward it to slugrail and have him remove the popup. I appreciate everyone enjoying this method and or learning from it!

Remember: You cannot publish it to the appstore due to the script containing 'extra' layers with special functions which means Apple will most likely reject them. So does this mean you cannot create the game without the layer? Hell yes you can! I am actually going to talk to slugrail to create a template without the 'extra' layer so that we know the difference.

Thank you guys for reading, watching the video and all the good stuff. Below are the links to the resources that I mentioned in the video or here. :)

Bubble Game Tutorial Page: http://goo.gl/GIe4V
DemoGame.app shown in video: http://goo.gl/4WzyD (DropBox link) *Folder*
Michal Budzynski's Guide (Parts etc.): http://goo.gl/DHEO1
HTML5 Tutorials: http://goo.gl/qV5L6



Remember to e-mail me more resources or alternatives to Construct 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment